After three challenging days of exceptional craft cocktail showmanship with the nation’s top 30 bartenders at the US Finals, the USBG Presents World Class Sponsored by DIAGEO announced Renato Tonelli as the 2023 U.S. Bartender of the Year!
Renato Tonelli got his start in the hospitality industry working globally in Rome before broadening and perfecting his craft in Brussels, Melbourne, and eventually returning to New York City where he was born and raised. With a growing passion for sustainability practices, Tonelli is best known for his love of developing unique and delicious recipes that upcycle food waste. Demonstrating unparalleled hospitality and creativity, Tonelli showcased a skilled and thoughtful approach to the prestigious competition, earning the honor of representing the U.S. at the Global Finals in Sāo Paolo, Brazil this fall.
Hosted in Austin, TX, the World Class US Finals took place at a combined event where the best bartenders across the country first competed in three challenges over two days. From there, the Top 5 Finalists were selected to compete in two final showdown challenges. The showstopping competition of the nation’s leading bartenders resulted in Renato Tonelli being crowned the winner who will move on to the World Class Global Finals
Those interested in taking a shot at the US Bartender of the Year title are invited to apply for the 2024 USBG Presents World Class Sponsored By DIAGEO program. Follow @WorldClassUS and @BartenderMagazine Instagram to learn more and be alerted when applications open this summer.
In the meantime, try your hand at Renato Tonelli’s recipes that helped him win the US Finals this year.
- 1.25 oz Ketel One Family Made Vodka Infused With Fig
- 1.25 oz Local Orange Wine
- 1 oz Clarified Grape Juice
- 2 oz Pink Lady Apple Kombucha
- 0.5 oz Local Infused Honey
- 2 dashes Ketel One Botanical Peach & Orange Blossom
- 4 dashes Saline Solution
- Garnish: Upcycled Market Leftovers & Foraged Flowers
- Combine Ketel One Vodka Infused with Fig, Orange Wine, Clarified Grape Juice, Honey, Ketel One Botanical Peach & Orange Blossom and Saline Solution into a shaker with ice.
- Shake thoroughly and strain into glass
- Top with Pink Lady Apple Kombucha and stir gently
- Garnish with Upcycled Market Leftovers & Foraged Flowers
- 1.25 oz Johnnie Walker High Rye
- 0.25 oz Seedlip Garden 108
- 0.25 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth
- 0.5 oz Green Tea
- 0.5 oz Lime Juice
- 0.5 oz Garden Scrap Cordial
- 4 dashes Saline Solution
- 2 dashes Pernod
- Half of a Muddled Tomatillo
- 1 oz Egg White
- Spray of Green Chartreuse
- Garnish: Microherbs
- Combine ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain over ice into a glass.
- Spray Green Chartreuse over drink and garnish with Microherbs.